Sunday, June 6, 2010

Salsa Recipes


Karen Pedersen's Salsa:

Single recipe makes 5-6 pints or about 3 quarts.

Wash and scald tomatoes. Peel. My family likes smooth salsa, so at this point, I gently puree them in my blender, but this step is not necessary. Cut in quarters if you are not pureeing. Cook for at least 1 hour in a large heavy pot. Skim off juice while cooking.

Chop the following by hand or food processor. I puree these too, not until it is totally liquid, but until it is a nice thick and smooth paste. Be sure to wear gloves while doing your jalapeno peppers. If they are good, hot ones, they will blister your bar hands.

2 large white onions
1 sweet red pepper
2 large green peppers
1/2 medium sized garlic clove, minced
2-4 jalapeno peppers (I love my salsa HOT so I use at least 4 of the hottest peppers I can find. If you leave your seeds in it will be even hotter. I leave the seeds in.)

Mix this in the tomato mixture in the pot and cook down another 45 minutes - 1 hour. The longer you cook it the thicker it will be, but it will also make less salsa.

Then add:
1 Tbs. white sugar
1 Tbs. Brown sugar
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
6 tsp. salt

Cook again for another 30 minutes. Fill bottles and process * for 10 minutes to seal.

*Note from Karen: I have never processed my jars in the 15+ years I have canned salsa. If you turn them over right after putting your lids on, they will seal from the heat. I just lay out several layers of towels on my kitchen table and turn my jars upside down there and leave them over night. I have never not had a jar seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment